Sunday, December 29, 2013

Thanksgiving Week (December 2)

Hi, family and friends!

Thanksgiving as a missionary is so great! Even though I missed my family at home immensely, we got to spend Thanksgiving with my ward family here and it was so awesome! Sister Reano was in charge of the Thanksgiving dinner at the church (of course) with another member, Sister Newport. It was a great meal! We were so full! We got to be with such amazing people for Thanksgiving, and I was so blessed to be able to be with them! We also went to two other members homes, and I kind of felt like six - dinner - Sid...we were way full by the end of the day!

 Thanksgiving with Sister Dods


We started teaching SANTA CLAUS! Not really, his name is Billy Jones, but he is the most jolly man I've ever met! I'll have to get a picture with him next time we meet with him because he is the COOLEST! Plus, he's open to hearing how the restored gospel of Jesus Christ can cleanse him from sin, endow him with God's power and give him the opportunity for eternal life, so that's good :)

Bacon-wrapped turkey

We've been struggling recently to find people to teach, and to help the people we are teaching to progress...In my personal study yesterday I turned to a random page in the Book of Mormon. I opened to Alma 16. Verses 13-14 say, "And Alma and Amulek [one of the greatest missionary companionship in the Book of Mormon]  went forth preaching repentance to the people...and as many as would hear their words, unto them they did impart the word of God, without any respect of persons, continually". These verses called me to repentance a little bit, because it reminded me of the line from Preach My Gospel that says, "teach when you find, and find when you teach". I need to do a better job of teaching everyone we find, members, investigators and less-actives. We should teach every single person we talk with every day, no matter who they are. I think I need to do a better job of that. Verses 16-17 go on to tell the results of Alma and Amulek's dedicated service. It says, "the Lord did pout out his spirit on all the face of the land to prepare the minds of the children of men, or to prepare their hearts to receive the word which should be taught among them at the time of his coming - that they might not be hardened against the word, that they might not be unbelieving, and go on to destruction, but that they might receive the word with joy, and as a branch be grafted into the true vine, that they might enter into the rest of the Lord their God". God's doing His part. He's preparing the people to hear the message we have to share. I need to do my part more effectively and do everything I can to share this message with every single person the Lord puts in my path. I know that if I do these things, that I'll have success.

Sister Pennington and her companions with Brother Fleming



I love you all and hope you have a great week!
Sister Pennington

No comments:

Post a Comment