Monday, March 24, 2014

Hello everyone! (March 17)

Esta semana foi fogo!

This week was awesome!

Let me tell you all of the things that I loved about this week....

- first of all, we found 5 new investigators and three now have baptismal dates! One of them, Lual, is a single dad of 2 kids, and he is so open and so friendly. He is extremely intelligent, he does some sort of accounting or something, and he understood everything so well that we were teaching. He's also really spiritual, and he's really excited to learn more, and he accepted baptism in the first lesson. He's great! Also, his little 1 year old daughter is adorable. The other investigators with a baptismal date, Alan and Leni, are just the cutest couple in the history of the world. They're so cute! We taught them on Saturday, and we brought a member with us, Vera, and she was so great! She bore her testimony about eternal families, and the spirit was so strong. We set their baptismal date as well! They're so wonderful! Also, they made us dinner after our lesson with them, and it was delicious. I'm so excited for them!

- We had a churrasco (BBQ) at the Bishop's house, and it was so great! We helped put the meat on sticks to grill. Here in Brazil, they really like to eat chicken hearts, so that's what we put on the sticks. Don't worry...I'll send pictures!

 


- We had 4 investigators at church, and all of them are awesome! Danusia came again, and this time she brought a family member, who absolutely loved church as well. It was awesome!

- I'm starting to remember people's names in the ward! It's pretty sweet!

- I was asked to give the opening prayer in sacrament meeting, and I was really nervous because I don't speak Portuguese, but I didn't fail, so that was awesome!

- We started teaching an awesome investigator named Davison. He's so great! There's a security system here, called Vigzul, and they have young people go door to door and sell it. They all live in the same house together (the "vigi-house"). 80% of these people are members of our ward and they're great. A lot of them are returned missionaries, and they are so eager to do what they can to help missionary work. Anyways, Davison is one of the people who works at Vigzul, and he's not a member. He came to church with the "vigi-boys" last week, and he set up an appointment to meet with us after church this Sunday. He studied "teologia" which essentially means he was a bible studies major. He knows the bible very well, and he had LOTS of questions. He's studied a lot about the church, and he wants to know more. We made sure to establish our purpose very clearly at the beginning of our lesson, explaining that our purpose is to teach people how to learn the truth through the spirit. This whole experience was very humbling for me, because I realized how reliant I am on the spirit. I'm a 19 year old kid who knows relatively little about the scriptures. I had 6 weeks of formal training for my mission. And here I was in a lesson with a guy who had an extensive knowledge of the Bible and I was trying to do so in a language I'd only been using for a month. But, I was, in fact, able to teach Davison and help him feel the spirit. It was ONLY through the spirit that I was able to do this. I know that Heavenly Father is mindful of us. My mom sent me a letter in my 3rd of 4th month on my mission that said, "The Lord helps when we say 'yes' in faith". I wrote that on a sticky note and put it on my wall. How true that is! When we're willing to do what the Lord needs us to do, he will prepare a way for us to do it. I love being a missionary, and I'm so excited for what the next 10 months have in store!


I love all of you so much! Have a great week, and always take the time to recognize the help we get from our loving Father in Heaven.

Sister Pennington

1 comment:

  1. Hi, what's the kind of watch you were wearing? I'm looking for one like that

    ReplyDelete