Monday, November 25, 2013

Hola familia! (November 11)

I hope everything's going well back on the ranch :)

Yes, I cut my bangs! And I let Sister Goates do it! I'm crazy pants! There was somewhat of a miscommunication, because I thought Sister Goates said that she'd cut hair before, but she said that she's only cut boy's hair before with razors... She had no idea what she was doing, but luckily it turned out alright :) One of our investigators told us that he prayed to God every day to make him not ugly. We did the same, and I think it worked out alright :)






                                                   Sister Pennington and Sister Sume
                       
Mormons don't believe in "karma" in the Buddhist sense of the word, but we definitely do believe that for every choice we make there are consequences that result according to the choice we made. Let me tell you a story that exhibits this principle...

Last week, we were going to do a family home evening lesson with a member of the church and her grandson. We went at about 8:30 at night, so it was dark. We knocked on the door and were waiting for Sister King to answer the door. As we were waiting, we noticed this guy dressed in all black with a ski mask who started walking towards us. My initial reaction was annoyance, because I assumed he was here to rob the Kings, and they really just didn't need that at the moment. The guy then proceeded pulled out a rifle and point it at us, and I was pretty sure he was going to shoot us. But, as a hen doth gather her chickens, Sister Goates threw open the door and pushed her little companions in and locked the door. We made the connections, however, and realized that it was really just Sister King's 13 year old grandson who had been planning this prank on the sister missionaries all week. He came up to the door and pulled of his mask and he was pretty proud of himself. It was a pretty awesome prank, I will admit :) As we know, however, there are consequences for all of our actions. This week he was being a hoodlum and he jumped over a fence and fell and broke both of his arms. Don't mess with the Lord's servants - it will come back to you! (disclaimer - I'm completely kidding and in no way feel that his broken arms are a just punishment for his prank :)

Anyways, actual missionary things that happened this week...

A couple of cool things happened, and I'll just do bullet points...

1. We were knocking on doors from addresses we had of people who were previously investigating the church. We didn't find any of them at home, but we saw this nice family outside, and Sister Goates went up to them and started talking to them. She was bold and started right off talking about the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, and soon found out that they only speak Spanish. That was my cue to go ahead with my "Spangese". We "just happened to have" some Spanish copies of the Book of Mormon in our car (coincidence - I think not!) and in a very rusty and Portuguese sounding Spanish, I was able to explain to them about the restoration, and they said they'd read the book of Mormon, and we're going back to see them on Sunday! They are so sweet!
2. We've been able to teach Misty more and more. She absolutely loves having us come over, and I was telling you about how tough their financial situation is, and she said that she's going to have us over for dinner next week. I can't even get over how much I love her and her family! They are all so awesome! I'll have to get a picture with them this week, and then send it to you next week :)
3. We had a lesson with Adam, the guy I told you about a few weeks ago whom we miraculously found and he is so excited to learn more about eh gospel. Also, he's just awesome! We're excited to teach him more!

I also want to tell you that I love my companions so much! Transfers are coming up, and we're speculating that Sister Goates is going to be transferred...I've loved working with these two sisters and I've learned so much from them!


                         Sister Pennington with Sister Spencer and Elder Bradd from her MTC district

Love you all so much and hope you have a great week!
Sister Pennington

No comments:

Post a Comment